Work Shift: 7am-7pm
Work Week: 12 hours shifts with rotating weekends/holidays off
The Unit Administrative Asst performs key functions that support the multidisciplinary team in delivering high quality, cost-effective care. As a receptionist, the Unit Administrative Asst employs effective communication skills in all interactions and promotes good customer relations. Maintains competency requirements for computer medical terminology and other job related functions. Oversees multiple priorities and uses organizational skills to maintain an orderly environment. The Unit Administrative Asst practices in concert with The Methodist’s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
1. Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to maintaining an environment that assures all customers, all individuals, are treated with dignity and respect. Employee actively participates in making recommendations for improving working relationships in the department/unit..
2. Demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of the hospital systems and serves as a resource to physicians, patients, visitors and staff.
3. Maintains and accurately processes and updates unit and patient records, e.g., transcription of physicians orders, discharge disposition codes, computer data entries, , medical records, identifications labels, patients’ valuable, etc.
4. Provides prompt and personalized service to all patients.
5. Coordinates scheduling of tests with the healthcare team and other departments to achieve cost-effective and positive patient outcomes.
6. Inventories, monitors and orders supplies to maintain par levels.
7. Protects patient and family privacy rights and maintains confidentiality of patient records and computer security codes, as well as protects the integrity of privileged information.
8. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
9. Receives information from various sources that is assimilated and communicated in an accurate, timely, and effective manner.
10. Demonstrates proficiency in the use and maintenance of clerical equipment, such as computers, facsimile and printers.
11. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, manuals and other resource information.
12. Generally works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear, professional and appropriate to the age of the patient served..
13. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
14. Demonstrates customer service standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
15. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be at least 18 years of age High school diploma, GED or equivalent required
Two years of secretarial/office or college/vocational training required Types a minimum of 30 words per minute. Computer application skills required Prior health care experience and/or medical terminology preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BLS Certification Required (Must be American Heart Association BCLS “Healthcare Provider”)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only Magnet-recognized, full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 276 bed hospital with 12 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.