Job ID: 1040816_RR00019448
Area of Talent: Allied Health
Position Type: Temporary
Location: NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital,
Shift: 10:00 AM to 06:00 PM variable hours
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation’s leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient’s ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Temporary Radiologic Technologist in the Radiology Department. To qualify a certificate from an accredited School of Radiologic Technology and New York State Radiology license or temporary permit to practice Diagnotic Radiology is required. Certified by the ARRT. College Degree preferred. Minimum of two (2) years experience as a Radiologic Technologist preferred. The ability to lift, push, pull, or move patients and equipment in excess of 150 lbs. with or without the use of assistive devices. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
In this role, the successful candidate will perform medically prescribed radiographic procedures including :Explain procedures and equipment to the patient clearly. Provides for patient comfort before and after procedures. Uses efficient methods in completing examinations in a reasonable amount of time. Prepares equipment and supplies in advance for future exams. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Maximize Exam Quality: Employee follows the guidelines set by NYULMC to meet the standards of care.
- Maximize Image Quality: Employee follows the guidelines set by NYULMC to meet the standards of care
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attendance and Additional Performance Standards:Demonstrates reliability by maintaining a good attendance/punctuality record. Adheres to departmental guidelines regarding use of and proper notification in connection with time off. Number of incidents of Unscheduled Absence: _____Number of incidents of Lateness: _____Adheres to Employee Health requirements for an annual health assessment, including TB screening and proof of all required immunizations.Maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times while at the Medical Center.If registered, completes 24 credits per biennium in various continuing education programs to keep current in new procedures, state of the art techniques, and equipment to maintain active registry status.
- Demonstrates skill in equipment set-up, utilization and proper maintenance procedure:Performs visual and manual quality control checks of radiographic equipment.Uses imaging and peripheral equipment, in a safe and productive manner in accordance with prescribed hospital, departmental and manufacturers procedures. Observes and reports any malfunctioning of the equipment and notifies appropriate persons in case of missing or damaged equipment.Demonstrates knowledge of proper use of computer product printers, i.e. label printers, report printers, etc, and minor adjustments to correct malfunctions.
- Independently implements patient procedures in accordance with departmental protocols and standards:Explains the procedure and equipment to the patient clearly. Provides for patient comfort before, during and after procedure, and maintains an ongoing rapport with the patient throughout the procedure to ease any anxiety the patient may have. Provides for patient privacy at all times. Positions patient and radiographic equipment appropriate to the body part(s) to be radiographed and adjust equipment settings accordingly to insure maximum information is obtained. Uses lead markers appropriately.
- Effectively assesses patients information and status, and plans appropriate procedure(s) accordingly:Uses standard procedures to identify the correct patient. Checks patients wristband by name, unit, and room number to ensure patients ID matches examination requisition. OR Calls patient by last name, asking patient to confirm their identity by stating their first name.Introduces self to the patient.Reviews patients requisition and understands the type of exam required by each requisition and confers with medical staff regarding clarification when necessary. Seeks information or asks for assistance from supervisor regarding difficult or questionable results.Follows accepted radiologic procedures and uses medical information to determine type of protocol required for radiographic examination. Consults policy and procedure manuals and/or other reference materials as necessary to ensure actions conform to established protocols. Follows special instructions indicated on radiographic requisition.Recognizes need for and follows isolation precautions.
- Demonstrates skill in using the hospital and radiology information systems as they relate to radiology:Correctly chooses appropriate patient information from HIS/RIS system in accordance with HIPPA regulations.Demonstrates ability to access patient information such as appointment times, type of exam, and patient reports. Is knowledgeable of the total cycle of RIS patient tracking.Follows departmental policy of documenting begin, complete and departure times, when appropriate, in the RIS.Has working knowledge of film library functions.Demonstrates knowledge of the HIS and is able to access patient data for verification of orders.Competent in scheduling exams in RIS from the order entry queue and/or demonstrates the ability to modify exams when necessary.
- Provides direction to the technical staff, facilitates patient flow through the department, and provides support to management:Ensures management is apprised of work situations and the performance of each employee, on an ongoing basis, giving clear and accurate information.Utilizes advanced expertise and problem-solving skills to assist staff in the performance of difficult cases and troubleshooting technical problems. Offers continuing guidance on work activities and procedures. Orients employees to new procedures and changes in existing procedures. Trains newly hired technical staff in the procedures of the department and pertinent medical center policies.Understands quality control procedures, identifies problems and implements solutions. Inspects finished radiographs for quality and completion prior to submission for reading.Reports malfunctioning, damaged, or missing equipment to management and appropriate service personnel. Helps to clarify problems with equipment and develops solutions to minor equipment malfunctions. Monitors the work of the staff in order to provide clear and accurate feedback to the chief technologist regarding their performance.Assist chief technologist in the scheduling of staff. Completes Shift Management Report and submits report on time. Ensures proper documentation of all incidents/accidents and keeps an accurate log of all problems. Monitors and records overtime worked by technical staff accurately.Understands and recognizes the importance of various reports from the HIS and RIS in follow-up and status of work completed, knows how to run these reports, and uses them to maintain these systems as precision tools for the radiology department. Example: Scheduled Exam Report, Complete-not-dictated. Etc.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.